MOBRA Meeting Minutes – January 2019
Calendar – Mark Ewers
All races currently known at the time of the meeting are on the calendar at MOBRA.org/calendar. Race Directors were contacted multiple times from early December to populate the calendar. Any RD interested in fielding a race on any open date on the calendar should contact Mark Ewers / email@example.com
State Championship Race Calendar – Mark Ewers
Applications were received for each state championship discipline overseen by MOBRA. The 2019 State Championship race lineup is as follows:
- Criterium – Florissant Valley Criterium / 4-Aug
- Road Race – Truman Cup Road Race / 20-Jul
- Time Trial – TBA / 3-Aug
- Cyclocross – Floody CX / TBA early December
The Time Trial venue is TBA because Mike Weiss is considering alternative locations due to deteriorating road conditions at the Centralia location.
The Cyclocross date will be announced after CX race directors have had a chance to discuss and decide the overall 2019 race season calendar.
Julie Carter is investigating whether an officials’ C-Clinic will be held this year with Sara Rodney, MOBRA Officials Coordinator. Julie will also reach out to Sara to alert the officials team of the latest calendar dates
BAR – Amy Strahan
Amy expressed concern the MOBRA by-laws document is out of sync with current BAR rules and categories. An effort is underway, led by Mark Ewers, to collaboratively update the by-laws document. Points which need addressing are:
- The by-laws do not cover current BAR categories, which encompass Cat 5 for women since the USACycling rule change a few years ago.
- Confusion and misunderstanding regarding the recognition-only award status for Men and Women Cat 4/5 BAR competitions.
- Other smaller details which have become outdated since the last by-law revisions were made in 2015
As an outcome of the BAR discussion it was agreed to and decided the job of Permitting Coordinator would move to Amy Strahan going forward. This will consolidate the permitting and BAR processes under one person, streamlining and thus improving the entire process for Race Directors. The MOBRA board wishes to thank Mark Ewers for his many years serving as Permit Coordinator for MOBRA.
State Championship Jerseys – Mike Weiss
Good to go! Construction at Penrose Velodrome last year prevented any State Championship events from taking place. Consequently MOBRA currently has plenty of jerseys for the time being.
Topics and discussion from MOBRA mtg – 11-Feb-2018
Race Categories & BAR
There is a difference between field winners, BAR category points awarding, and champions at championship races. In a race such as the MO State Road Race (Froze Toes this year), all Masters championship categories may race together in a single field. How are awards/points/jerseys handled? The following guidelines apply:
- Any field comprised of multiple BAR categories will need to be scored according to those categories for the purpose of awarding BAR points. The results of this scoring exercise would be used solely for BAR. These results have no bearing on payouts, championship jersey or medals awards.
- Payouts are determined according to the method set out by the Race Director (RD). This method is described on the race flyer. All competitors in each field designation are eligible for payouts.
- Jerseys will be determined and awarded according to championship categories and classes. For fields where there are insufficient competitors (e.g. A Masters 45-49 field with only 2 riders), the RD and and head official may decide (typically with rider discussion/involvement in the decision) to combine championship fields in order to meet the 3 rider minimum required to award a jersey. In such a case only 1 championship jersey would be awarded to the champion of the combined category/class. Certainly the decision may be to race categories as-is. For example, if the above-mentioned 45-49 field with only 2 riders could only be combined with much larger 40-44 or 50-54 fields, this could be seen as unfair to the 2 riders. In such a case the decision may be to not combine fields. However, because the field has only 2 competitors no jersey would be awarded. In this case the winner in such a competition would have the option of purchasing the jersey.
- Medals awarding determination is exactly the same as that of jerseys above. The only exception is that medals are always awarded, regardless of competitor account.
- Out-of-state competitors are not eligible for jersey or medals awards. Further, a maximum of 1 out-of-state competitors will count as the number of competitors contesting a jersey. For example, our Masters 45-49 field with 2 MO resident riders and 1 out-of-state rider could compete for a jersey (which could only be awarded to a MO resident). If the same field contained only 1 MO rider and 2 or more out-of-state riders, no jersey would be awarded.
- Note: The above are not new rules or guidelines. No changes were discussed, and no changes have been proposed.
New race series in Forest Park
St. Louis Alderman and bike racer Scott Ogilvie announced he will be promoting a series of 3 events on Thursdays in late April and early May. The race format will be distance-based on a circuit in Forest Park.
Scott Ogilvie reported the City of St. Louis has accumulated funds for the renovation of the Penrose Park Velodrome. The funds committed are within $80k of the minimum required to renovate the track. Scott is optimistic the additional funds can be allocated and the project green-lit. The plan as proposed would provide for a new concrete surface which would be anchored by a foundation, giving the renovation a life-span of up to 20 years. Plans also include installation of a drainage system in the track infield.
Josh Carter and Amy Strahan will discuss transitioning BAR scoring responsibilities to Amy.
Elections for the MOBRA board were to have taken place in November but did not. This means MOBRA is currently operating with only 4 current-term board members: Brady Kiss, Marijn Braadbaart, Mark Ewers, and Mike Weiss. Mark Ewers proposed holding a special election at the March meeting where the unfilled seats would be elected. The positions which expired in November were held by B.J. Keane, Jen Schook, Josh Carter, and Nick Hand.
Nominations for open board positions are currently open. Anyone wishing to nominate or be nominated should contact Mark Ewers with qualifications and a brief statement about the nominee what he/she will bring to the board.
Race Director and Club Involvement
Marijn proposed to lead an initiative to bring RDs and clubs into closer contact with MOBRA with an objective to grow bike racing and participation in the sport. If you head a club or promote one or more races, look for Marijn to reach out to you for input and involvement. Better yet, reach out to Marijn with any ideas or input you might already have.
State Championship Jerseys on order
State jerseys are on order and will be available for distribution on receipt.
MOBRA MEETING MINUTES
LA Agreement discussion
– How will changes to the license rebate program impact MOBRA?
– We are still waiting on Q1-3 checks from USAC
– 2018 agreement MOBRA will be purchasing insurance from USAC for $300
USACycling Summits should be announced (Jan 2018) Brady Kiss to attend
– Race manager has the ability to create a promotion to track totals. Race directors must use a BARR standard promotion in order for it to work
– Cost $400/ month
– Mike to look into renegotiate cost
– Officials get great start lists for officials from race manager
– USAC database does not currently work with race formats
– Host a “how to use race manager” training session
– How do you attract more racers?
– State Championships Jersey To be handed out at Banquet
– Otherwise can be picked up at Big Shark- Big Bend
– If out of town, can be mailed.
Congratulations to the 2017 BARR winners!
Pro 1,2 Men
Pro 1,2 Women
Here is an Updated BARR results list.
Good luck this weekend!
MOBRA BARR Top 10
Congratulations to our 2016 MOBRA Championship winners.
All who won a championship will be recognized at the 2016 awards banquet to be held on 18-Feb. Each will receive a MOBRA championship jersey. Please plan to attend and celebrate their accomplishments.
Updated (2x): The original and replacement documents contained errors. The attached document corrects them. Please let us know of any others you find.
Updated (2-Feb): New and improved version now includes MTB champions
A big congratulations to all MOBRA BARR winners for 2016